Are you someone like me who loves warm meals for dinner; maybe a bit spicy too? Then I have an amazing and super easy recipe for you guys that does not need a lot of effort but turns out really good. Besides, chickpeas are high on protein!
Ingredients for 4 medium and 6 small servings
- 250 gms chickpeas boiled or canned; rinsed
- 400 gms plum tomatoes
- 250 gms cherry tomatoes
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery sticks, chopped; optional
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric (I used raw fresh turmeric)
- 500 ml water or vegetable stock; you can add more if you want thinner consistency
- 1tbsp coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp harissa chili paste or cayenne pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat oil and add cumin seeds. Upon spluttering, add half of the chopped onions, carrots and garlic. Stir and fry for 6-7 minutes
- When onions seem cooked, add plum tomatoes, salt, turmeric, cayenne powder or harissa chili paste and cinnamon.
- Cook everything covered for 10 minutes or till it looks mushy. Then add the chickpeas and cook further for 5 minutes before blending it with a hand-blender. If you don’t have a hand-blender, you can use a regular blender and give a very brief churn so that it is not absolutely smooth.
- Now add the remaining half chopped onions, celery if using, cherry tomatoes and lemon juice. Mix it well and garnish it with chopped cilantro.
- Taste for salt, chili and lemon and serve it super hot with toasted bread, pita, quinoa or just a lemon wedge.
Tip: Vegetarians can also top it with a dollop of greek yoghurt. Vegans can use soy options instead.