Starting Sunday morning with a garlicky home-made pesto is such a delight. The crisp freshness makes me really happy. However, today I am talking about pesto made with arugula leaves (Rocket Leaves) and not usual basil-cheese pesto. This one has a unique flavour and works really well in pasta or on breads and wafers.
Makes about 1 cup pesto
- 6 cups arugula
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup toasted walnuts or pine nuts
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan Cheese (Optional; I like my pesto without cheese)
- kosher salt & freshly grounded pepper
Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend to a thick paste. Its better to start with half oil and add remaining half as the motor is running. Add salt and pepper. Transfer the pesto into a mason jar and refrigerate until required.